SpelPaus is the national Swedish self exclusion gambling scheme that helps weak-willed players from becoming compulsive gamblers. This service principle is the same as the GamStop scheme; Both are based on the same rules and are maintained by the local gambling committees. Also, they cover their local sites and offer varying ban terms.
At the time of writing this text, SpelPaus helped more than 60,000 Swedish players which is a very high number since that this service has been started just in 2019.
On this page, we will discuss this Swedish exclusion programme. What services does it offer? how you can join it? What are its most important alternatives?
What Is SpelPaus Programme?
SpelPaus is a Swedish self-exclusion program that started in 2019. It is believed that it has been established by the Swedish gambling regulator, Spelinspektionen, itself after a partnership with the UK Gaming Commission.
In the same year, the Swedish Gambling Commission approved this program and required all local gambling service providers to integrate it to maintain their licenses. However, it seems that the Swedish gambling regulator is still facing regulatory issues as there are a lot of iGaming sites that have not yet connected to this program. In addition, other sites have already listed this site but do not exclude SpelPaus players.
SpelPaus Exclusion Periods
SpelPaus terms are very flexible and meet all players needs and requirements. Below is a quick run-through of the service exclusion periods.
- One month – This is the shortest period to exclude yourself from all forms of gambling. Also, it is a very handy option to experience the principle of a “gambling ban” before choosing a long period. When choosing this plan, you will not be able to access any gambling venue that works under the Swedish gambling committee. Also, you will not receive any marketing messages from any iGaming site.
- 3 months – If you think that your gambling behaviour has been escalating lately and you need to have a period of calm, you can exclude yourself for only three months. During this short term, you can avoid the risks of gambling problems and reduce your urge to gamble. Also, you will not receive any promotional content on your phone or email address.
- 6 months – This plan will suit players who suffer from successive financial and social losses from gambling and want to stop for a long time to compensate for these losses and relieving pains. Also, you will not receive any promotional content that may motivate you to return to gambling.
- To further notice – If you are hesitant and don't usually trust your choices then this plan will be perfect for you! You can stop gambling indefinitely, the advantage of this plan is that you can cancel it at any time, unlike other plans that oblige players to a specific time. Nevertheless, note that after 12 months pass, you need to sign in to your account and choose whether to continue or stop playing.
What Gambling Services Does SpelPaus Cover?
This scheme applies to all gambling venues that operate under the Swedish Gambling Authority, including:
- Online casinos
- Sports betting sites
- In/out store slot machines
- Bingo halls and networks
- Poker gates
- Online lotto gates and companies
Note that this service covers Swedish gambling venues only. However, these sites aren’t up to 0.5% of the total of the available iGaming sites to the Swedish players! The offshore sites available to the Swedish players are very large and have a high reputation and reliability of local operators. On our site, we recommend the best sites out of the SpelPaus that you can play at securely and safely.
Pros of SpelPaus
SpelPaus is the national Swedish Gambling Authority exclusion service that is available for players who are based in Sweden only. Since that the SGA has made huge advertising campaigns for this service, it has gained wide fame among the local players who want to protect themselves from compulsive gambling. Below are the most prominent advantages of this service.
- Varying Break Times
This service offers a wide choice of exclusion terms starting from one month to 3 months, six months, and until further notice. So, you can choose the suitable duration for you according to your needs and requirements.
- Completely Free
SpelPaus is a fully free service that you can join without any obstacles or hindrances.
SpelPaus is a web-based exclusion scheme that you can access through your mobile or PC browser easily. Then, you need to fill in the registration form, activate your account, and you will be able to use it immediately.
Cons of SpelPaus
Although that the SpelPaus do a great job to help vulnerable players from the gambling side effects, it has some shortcomings that players should know before joining it.
- Available For the Swedish Users Only
SpelPaus is powered by the Swedish gambling regulator, Spelinspektionen. So, it covers the Swedish gambling venues only! Players from other European countries can’t participate in this service.
- Covers Only Sites With SGA License
As mentioned beforehand, this service covers only the Swedish gambling venues. However, the Swedish players still have an access to the offshore casinos and sites that hold licenses of other EU committees.
- Non Responsive Customer Care
Since that the SpelPaus is a free service run by a charity, it lacks 24/7 customer care service. So, you will need to experience patience for a time of up to 3 working days to get an answer to your questions.
FAQ About SpelPaus
- What is the Self-Exclusion Service SpelPaus?
SpelPaus is the Swedish self-exclusion service that has been launched in 2019. Recognized and supported by the SGA. Which required all the local gambling venues to integrate it, otherwise, their license will be forfeited. This scheme offers many exclusion periods for players range between 1 month, 6 months, 1 year.
- How to Join SpelPaus?
You can join this service by entering their website, then create a new account. After that, you need to select a suitable limitation plan and the ban will take effect immediately. Note that the exclusion can’t be cancelled and you can’t join any sewidish gambling site during the limitation period.
- Can I Go Around SpelPaus?
Yes, you can skip this service limitation by playing at an offshore casino.
- Who Are the Players Who Can Participate in SpelPaus?
All players who are based in Sweden can take part in this self exclusion scheme.